We’re all looking for new ideas on how to save money and keep a few extra greenbacks in our wallets.
But for many of us who have too much month at the end of our money, it can seem impossible to do more with the money we’re already making.
The truth is, there are always ways to save money, particularly if you’re willing to invest a little time.
I am sure there are more extensive and exotic ideas, but here are 75 easy ways you can save money and eliminate the waste from you budget. I can also give you some helpful ideas on quick ways to make money as well!
Saving Money vs Spending Less
Our big list gives you a ton of ways to spend less money, but if you are looking for ways to put more money into your savings account here are 10 easy ways to increase your savings every month:
- Write down all your spending- For one month, write down ALL of your spending. Big purchases. Small purchases. EVERYTHING.
2. Start a Budget- Take all of your spending and make a budget out of it. Look where your money is going and find areas that you can cut back on. Making a budget isn’t hard.
3. Set goals for saving- Do you want $1,000 saved in the next 6 months? Or money for a new car? Set some clearly defined goals.
4. Make a plan for saving- Now you need a way to reach your goals. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, but you need a plan. Something as simple as saving $50.
5. Set your priorities- What you value most is going to be where your money goes. Sit down and set your priorities for your finances.
6. Make saving money automatic- You can’t spend it if you don’t see it. Have automatic transfers from your checking account to your savings account every paycheck.
7. Create barriers to unnecessary spending- Make it difficult to waste money on things you don’t need. Only budget enough cash for the necessities.
8. Sign up for programs that pay you back for your spending- Just about every store has a rewards program with different incentives. Additionally, sign up for a rewards credit card to earn cash back for your shopping.
9. Keep your savings in a high-interest account- Your savings don’t have to just sit there, it can earn you money. Find a high-interest account to stash your money in (personally, I use CapitalOne360).
10. Watch your money grow!- Here is the fun part! Sit back and watch your savings account get bigger and bigger.
75 Easy Ways to Save money
Instead of giving you a giant list of 1-75 I broke this up into sections to give you money savings ideas in different categories. The categories are:
Financial Ways to Save Money
- Cashback Rewards Cards – If you’re looking for an easy and painless way to save money on everyday expenses, look to your credit card for help. That’s right – with the right rewards card, you can save money on everything from your regular bills to your household expenses.
- To get these savings, you’ll need a rewards card that offers a percentage of cash back for every dollar you spend. While we highlight some of the best offers in our post on the best cash back credit card offers, here are a few cards that offer the most bang for your buck.
- Chase Freedom® Card – With the Chase Freedom® Card, you’ll earn 5% back in categories that rotate every quarter, plus 1% back for every dollar you spend year-round. Best of all, you get a $150 signup bonus after you spend just $500 on your card within 90 days. Since there is no annual fee, you can plan on keeping this card forever. Read here to learn more about the Chase Freedom® Card.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited – The Chase Freedom Unlimited card is similar to the traditional Freedom card in the fact that it never charges an annual fee. However, it offers a flat 1.5% back on all purchases instead of extra points in rotating categories. In addition, you’ll earn a $150 signup bonus after you spend just $500 on your card within 90 days. With 1.5% cash back on everything and a free $150 bonus, this card is hard to beat. Read here to learn more about the Chase Freedom Unlimited.
- 2. Switch Bank Accounts. If you are being charged feed on your checking account or getting almost zero interest from your savings then it may be time to switch banks. You can get more than 10 times the interest using a high interest online savings account and there are plenty of free online checking accounts with no deposit. With either of these options you will save money over the bricks and mortar options.
- 3. Negotiate New Rates on Your Credit Cards. Credit card companies are always trying to jack up your interest. They may do it for missing a payment or for lack of usage. Whatever the reason you can save a lot by calling them and asking them to lower your interest rate. If they will not budget then consider getting a new credit card with 0% interest for balance transfers. This will take your rate down to zero for up to 18 months and save you a ton in interest payments.
- Food Money Saving Tips
- According to a recent Gallup Poll, the average American family spends $151 per week on food, including restaurant eating. That adds up to a cool $7852 per year. Here are 20 ways you can keep more of that money in your pocket:
- 1. Make meal plans. One of the biggest food budget busters is when you have no answer to the question “What’s for dinner?” Rather than get in the habit of ordering pizza or going out for fast food when you’re stumped by the dinner question—which is infinitely more expensive than cooking at home—get used to planning out your meals for the week or month. Not only will this save you money on take out, but it will also put you in a good place to actually use all the food you buy at the grocery: