blue-arrow-1-graphic blue-arrow-2-graphic watch-white-icon youtube-play-icon youtube-sticky-hover-icon youtube-sticky-icon graphic-arrow-icon magic-icon wallet-icon mastermind-white-icon on-and-on-white-icon rule-shield-icon mojo-icon gfc-white-icon training-white-icon couch-icon utencil-icon peer-lending-white-icon shopping-bag-icon life-insurance-icon life-insurance-grayscale-graphic toolbox-icon investing-retirement-icon toolbox-grayscale-graphic our-2-pick-graphic managing-investments-icon investing-retirement-grayscale-graphic banking-icon banking-grayscale-icon managing-bills-icon logo-shield-icon peer-lending-icon managing-bills-grayscale-graphic tracking-credit-icon our-1-pick-graphic checkmark-icon peer-lending-grayscale-graphic debt-icon managing-investments-grayscale-graphic tracking-credit-grayscale-graphic our-3-pick-graphic debt-grayscale-graphic managing-bill-icon google-sticky-icon life-insurance-icon2 facebook-sticky-icon investing-retirement-icon2 managing-investments-icon2 banking-icon2 google-sticky-hover-icon pinterest-sticky-icon twitter-sticky-hover-icon get-out-of-debt-icon quote-icon pinterest-sticky-hover-icon tracking-credit-icon2 search-gray-icon facebook-sticky-hover-icon peer-to-peer-icon author-shield-shape-icon fact-icon twitter-sticky-icon android-sticky-hover-icon android-sticky-icon itunes-sticky-hover-icon itunes-sticky-icon listen-icon podcast-white-icon rss-sticky-hover-icon rss-sticky-icon blog-icon blog-white-icon blue-arrow-3-graphic blue-arrow-4-graphic ge-stock-icon write-roth-ira-icon nut-icon penny-stock-icon fact-icon2 watch-icon save-more-piggy-icon calendar-icon open-roth-icon advice-icon article-1-icon article-2-icon article-3-icon article-4-icon article-5-icon article-6-icon article-7-icon article-8-icon article-9-icon article-10-icon article-11-icon article-12-icon blog-color-icon book-icon cent-sign-black-icon cent-sign-white-icon close-icon facebook-small-hover-icon facebook-small-icon google-small-hover-icon google-small-icon insurance-menu-icon just-out-of-college-icon nearing-retirement-icon pinterest-icon pinterest-small-hover-icon podcast-color-icon popup-close-hover-icon raising-kids-icon resources-menu-icon retirement-icon reviews-menu-icon roth-ira-menu-icon search-icon starting-a-family-icon toolbox-icon2 tv-color-icon twitter-small-hover-icon twitter-small-icon just-out-of-college-plain nearing-retirement-plain raising-kids-plain retirement-plain starting-a-family-plain burger-menu-plain tv-color-plain person-plain start-arrow-plain blue-arrow-1-plain
Read Comments

Reader Comments

  1. If I am terminated…without cause…fired because of “downsizing”…and I am only 80% vested, do I lose the other 20% even though I am discharged and do not resign?

    PFS

    • Hi Preston – Unfortunately yes. The reason for the separation doesn’t matter.

  2. If I am only 20 percent vested, and my employer takes the 80 percent after termination. Are they entitled to interest that was made on there matching contribution? After all it was my investment choices that made them any extra money. If that is the case, theoretically they could end up getting back more than they put into my 401k ?

    • Hi John – I don’t think so, but I must confess I don’t know the answer to that. It may vary by plan, so check the literature for you plan.

  3. I am taking a new job with a company at age 67 (I am full retirement age). Will the company be obligated to consider me to be 100% vested with regard to 401K company match? Thank you, Cliff Huss

    • Hi Cliff – As long as the company has set the retirement age at something before age 67 you should be fully vested going forward. But check with the plan administrator to make sure that’s the case.

  4. I was “Fully Vested” through my companies 401K. I am trying to roll everything to a Traditional IRA. They sent me a form to fill out that forfeits my rights to the money the company contributed. The only money the company said I’m entitled to is the money I contributed. In the forms they provided me it also says I am fully vested, but if I move the money out of their control I lose the employer contribution. Is this correct? Since, I was fully vested I should receive my contributions plus the company’s contributions to roll over to a Traditional IRA?

    Thank you for any guidance in this situation.

    • Hi Jessica – That’s really strange. Fully vested means the money is yours. Call the plan administrator and get a clarification. If that doesn’t work out, it ight be worth having a consultation with an attorney who specializes in retirement plan issues. If the employer contribution is a lot of money, it may be worth getting an attorney involved. It doesn’t sound right at all, but the IRS gives employers a lot of flexibility in managing these plans, so I don’t want to say it’s impossible.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *