Something doesn’t feel right about it.
You keep doing it although you’re not sure why.
Even worse you start to resent it.
You want to quit it, but quitting just sounds weak.
“Only losers quit” screams through your mind.
At least it was with mine.
That it is another one of my blogging projects that I’ve been running with amazing wife for the past 3 years.
That it is named Dollars and Roses.
The initial idea behind the blog was a joint blog that my wife and I would run and show people how we make money with blogging. (If you didn’t know she was a blogger, you can check hers out here.)
In her niche of mom bloggers there isn’t anyone doing this so it seemed perfect.
It was such a good idea that we launched the Dollars and Roses podcast to go along with it.
In the beginning it was awesome. Just like newlyweds beginning a marriage, we were having a blast with it. We were able to connect with some amazing bloggers that are killing it online. It landed Mandy and I a speaking gig in San Diego.
It allowed Mandy and I to work together for the first time, which had challenges (we’re both stubborn!), but we still had fun.
Some of my best memories are having a “marital” right before the recording of the podcast and by the end we’re laughing and having a good time. It’s amazing feeling being able to work together with your spouse and enjoy doing it.
But as life always does, things started to change.
- Change #1: My business is growing. My financial planning practice has continued to grow and with it a responsibility to have better systems in place to manage it effectively. I suck at building systems so that takes time.
- Change #2: Our family is growing. Our 3 boys keep getting bigger and bigger and with that means there’s more time to devote to helping with homework, heading to sporting events, and just doing what families do. The reality is that our family is not going to slow down especially with us adopting soon.
- Change #3: My wife’s business and blog are growing. Last fall my wife and her business partner launched their first business Happy Mommy Box (a monthly subscription service targeted towards moms) and the results have been amazing. Their customer base continues to grow and literally the sky’s the limit on what they can do. Like any growing business there comes a time dedication that’s required for the business to be successful.
- Change #4: My blog continues to grow. With the launch of my book, Soldier of Finance, and the GF¢ podcast my blog continue to grow. With that brings on new opportunities that get me really excited. Plus, it also feeds into financial planning practice. That’s a win-win. 🙂
- Change #5: Our priorities have changed. With everything I’ve listed above DollarsandRoses.com has become our least priority. We were initially publishing a podcast about every two weeks but that has been pushed back to about one a month.
- Change #6: Our passions have changed. When I first got the idea of launching our site I envisioned us becoming an Internet power couple. As much as we both like to blog it made total sense. But as time when on we both started to realize that we didn’t like to talk about blogging as much as we thought we would. Other than recording the podcasts (which we kinda liked), we both resented having to write anything about blogging strategy.
In a nutshell, it just wasn’t fun anymore.
Even still, we kept doing it. In all my busyness, I would make myself publish the podcasts and our monthly income reports because I felt we had to. Quitting wasn’t an option. Even though I knew that it was a clear distraction.
I was afraid to quit. I was afraid to admit that it wasn’t worth it. Surely someday I would realize that it made sense to keep going even though I didn’t have an end game in mind.
Chasing a New Passion
“With out passion you don’t have energy, with out energy you have nothing.” –Donald Trump
I think what’s most interesting about all the changes that I listed above is that they are just excuses.
If Dollars and Roses was truly our passion, then why where ready to give up so quickly.
And that’s when it hit me. #likeatonofbricks
My wife and I still wanted to work together because we enjoy it. We’ve always felt as a team we can accomplish so much more.
The problem was the topic: make money blogging.
When we took a step back and looked at everything we were doing, we realized that this topic didn’t fit.
When we started to think about what we wanted our legacy to be, it didn’t involve showing how to make money online. There are plenty of amazing online entrepreneurs that are doing that (and much better than we were).
We wanted to touch people on a different level.
Shut Up and Listen
You know how sometimes you struggle with something for so long before you finally realize that the answer was in front of you the whole time?
Yeah, that happened to us.
For the longest time, my wife and I have received questions about our marriage and raising a family. It was always fun to answer them and each time it was very rewarding.
10x time rewarding than finding out that someone started a blog because they found us.
When it finally hit us that many young couples were seeking us for guidance about marriage, you would have thought fireworks went off.
The NEW Dollars and Roses
The one thing that we know for certain is that our marriage is far from perfect.
Not even close.
But with Jesus on our side we’ve been able to make it through a lot of hardships and we’re proud to say that we’re less than a month than celebrating 10 amazing years together.
The last 10 years has been an amazing and difficult journey and there were times that we almost gave up.
Thankfully our love never quit and today our marriage is stronger than ever.
We want to help others find that same passion in their marriage and fight like hell to never let it go.
We want to help you make your marriage more.
Weekend Getaway – Because You Deserve It
To celebrate the launch of our new direction and our new blog we thought it would be fun to reward one lucky couple with some much needed quality time away from the house and the kiddos.
Listen, we LOVE our kids, but we also recognize that mommy and daddy need some alone time to enjoy each other so we try to take mini trips when we can to recharge and have an awesome time together.
Because we know how important that quality time is we’re giving away a Romantic Weekend Getaways for a 2 night hotel and dinner date.
Get the Money Dominating Toolkit
- 6 Tools to Get Your Money Back on Track
- The Ultimate Goal Achiever Workbook
- 2 Free Chapters to my Best Selling Book
- 21 Days to Destroy Your Bad Habits Worksheet