A lot of us may be unknowingly passing up on a lot of opportunities to earn some extra cash.
I did some research, and it turns out I found a few web offers out there – in fact, no less than 107 of them – that will pay you a referral fee!
And I didn’t have to look all that hard.
This is one of the very easiest ways you can earn some spare cash.
All you have to do is refer people to the services and vendors you use all the time. Those are the ones you trust the most, so you should have little trouble referring other people to use them as well.
If you think for a bit, you probably know dozens of people, and maybe even hundreds. Think of all of the friends, family members, neighbors, coworkers, fellow students and business associates you have. Collectively, they represent a pretty large market for all of the products and services you use every day.
You can begin earning extra money just by referring people in your social circle to use the very same products and services that you do.
Turning Referral Fees from Web Offers into a Thriving Side Hustle
We normally think of web offer referral fees as being on the small side – five dollars, maybe ten.
For such a small amount, you might decide it’s not worth the inconvenience or even embarrassment of referring your friends. And that may be true with a lot of web offer referral fees.
But think again.
Yes, a lot of web offer referral fees are small. But there are dozens that pay a lot more. Some pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
And even as far as the smaller ones go, if they’re for common services you can refer dozens of people to, those referral fees can really add up.
This can be the perfect opportunity to generate extra income for a retiree, a student, or anyone who is looking for an extra income.
Referral fees can be used to help you get out of debt, fast-forward your retirement savings, or save for major expenditures, like a college education for your children, the down payment on a house or even your next vacation.
Don’t dismiss the potential lightly. You’ll find several vendors on this list you use. Investigate which ones you can become a referral source for on a regular basis. If you pursue it actively, you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.
Once you’re signed up with a referral program, all you need to do is provide the person’s name and contact information, and the vendor will take it from there.
And don’t need to feel bad about referring your friends either. In a lot of cases, your friend will also get a bonus for signing up for the service, and just because you referred them.
In some cases, all you need to do is put your referral code on Facebook or Twitter, and anyone who uses it will enable you to get a referral bonus. That’s as passive as it gets!
Sure, it’s a numbers game, but virtually all moneymaking opportunities are. This one is sitting on your home computer, just waiting for you to take advantage of it.
How Referral Fees from Web Offers Typically Work
Each referral fee program has its own unique features, but they generally follow similar patterns when it comes to procedures, terms and conditions.
Most of them work like this:
- You have to be a participating member in the service in order to get paid for referrals.
- You have to sign up for the referral program with a vendor in order to participate.
- You provide the name and contact information of the person you are referring, and the vendor will contact them.
- The friend must also sign up for the service and complete an initial transaction, which might be purchasing the service or funding an account.
- There’s usually a waiting period of between 30 and 60 days, or the referred friend needs to sign up for and use the service, before you’ll receive the referral bonus.
- Vendors might send you an IRS Form 1099 at the end of the year, indicating that the referral bonus is taxable. This will happen if they pay you total bonuses of $600 or more in any one year.
All in all, it’s a simple process. And once you sign up for one referral program, it will be easy to expand your participation. Especially since you will be referring out products and services you already use and believe in.
Once you start making some money, you’ll probably get hooked.
107 Web Offers That Will Pay You a Referral Fee
Okay, on to the list! What I found is there are actually many hundreds of referral fee web offers out there.
But a lot of them are vague in their offers. In fact, some just announce they have a referral bonus, without saying or even hinting what it will be.
That’s why I limited this list only to web offers which specifically spell out what they’re willing to pay for a referral bonus. You can find and participate in as many referral programs as you like, and there are plenty of them out there. But I only wanted to include those who make their terms and compensation completely obvious.
I came up with 107 in total, but have broken them down into 12 specific categories. I hope this will allow you to focus on the specific business types and vendors you’re most comfortable referring to your friends.
1. Shopping (7)
Like buying food, everybody shops. And chances are you are using one or more specialty food providers or coupon apps while you do. If you refer those services out to your social connections, you can make even more money by using those services.
- Ebates — The first friend you refer will pay you $5. Refer a second friend, and you’ll not only get another $5, but you’ll also get an extra $40, for a total of $50. Each friend must make purchases of at least $25.
- Swagbucks — For each new person you refer to Swagbucks.com you will earn 10% of the referral’s earnings. Even better, you continue to earn 10% for as long as your referral is active on Swagbucks.com, with no maximum limit.
- Pottery Barn Kids — Each friend you refer will get $25 off their first purchase of $100 or more. Once they do, you will be entitled to the same offer. You can refer up to 15 friends per year, which will bring you $375 in purchase discounts.
- GlassesUSA — For each friend you refer you get a $30 in-store credit, and there’s no limit to how many friends you can refer.
- Groupon — Earn $10 in Groupon Bucks whenever you refer a friend to Groupon and they buy their first deal.
- BeFrugal (Online cash-back service) — Earn $15 for each friend you refer, and your friend will get $10. There’s no limit on the number of referrals you can send.
- NetSpend (Prepaid debit card) — When you refer a friend who activates their new Netspend Prepaid Card and loads at least $40, you both get a $20 credit. Referrals are unlimited.
2. Investment Brokerage Websites (9)
It’s no secret that investment brokerages pay sign-up bonuses to get people to use their services. But a lot of them also have refer-a-friend programs that could not only enable you to pick up some extra cash, but to do it on a regular basis. Many have no limit on the number of people you can refer.
- Betterment — For each friend who joins and funds an account from your referral link, you will receive 30 days free, and your friend will receive 3 months free. If you invite three friends who join and fund an account, you will receive one full year free. The annual fee is 0.25% of your account balance.
- Motif — You will receive 1 month of free Motif BLUE Unlimited for each friend that opens an account and is approved (your friend will get 3 months free!).
- Firstrade — $50 for each friend who you refer to the site who signs up for the service.
- Scottrade — Both current and new clients who participate in the program will receive 3 free online trades to be used during the next 3 online equity or option trades. At $6.95 per trade, that makes the offer good for $20.85.
- Questrade — Refer a friend to open a professionally-managed or online trading account, you will get paid $25 directly in your account. With every third referral you get a $50 bonus. Your friend will receive anywhere from $25 for a $1,000 account, up to $250 for a $100,000 account.
- Interactive Brokers — Send an invitation to somebody you know to open an account, and in return you receive a bonus of up to $200 if they sign up. There is no limit to the number of referral bonuses you can receive.
- Investrade — Refer your friends and associates and receive a $50 commission credit to be used towards future online trades.
- OptionsHouse — Receive either a $150 Amazon.com Gift Card or 30 commission-free trades. With OptionsHouse’s commission fee of $4.95, 30 free trades are worth almost $150. The friend has to open their account and fund it with at least $1,000. Plus your friend gets 100 commission-free trades (worth $495) when their account is funded with a minimum of $5,000.
- AvaTrade (Online investing) — Earn $75 to $400 for each friend referred, based on the amount of the friend’s initial account deposit. Minimum deposit of $250 for the $75 bonus, and minimum of $10,000 for the $400 bonus.
3. Banks and Credit Unions (17)
It’s been a long time since banks offered toasters to people who open up new accounts. Now they pay cold, hard cash, and that’s a lot better. But not only do they pay cash for opening up new accounts, but they also pay it to existing customers who refer their friends.
I’m guessing a lot of banks and credit unions pay referral fees. But in the list below I’ve included national and regional banks and credit unions that have put their referral fee programs in writing on their websites.
- DCU Credit Union — If the referred member opens any of the qualifying accounts within the time frame of receiving the invitation to join they will receive $20, and the referring DCU member will receive $10.
- Citibank — You enroll in the Member-Get-Member Program, then earn up to $100 for each person you refer who opens a new eligible Citibank checking account.
- HSBC — Receive a $100 deposit for your first two referrals and up to $200 for each additional referral, up to four, after someone you refer opens a qualifying HSBC Premier, Advance, or Choice Checking account, for a total of up to $1,000 for six successful referrals.
- Santander Bank — Both you and the person you refer get $50 when your friend or family member opens and uses a new Santander Bank Checking account.
- Boeing Employee Credit Union (BECU) — Refer a friend and both you and your friend will get $25.
- Regions Bank — Get a $50 Visa Reward Card when you refer a friend to open a new Regions Bank personal LifeGreen checking account or business checking account.
- Auto Club FCU — Refer a friend and both you and the friend get $25.
- Chevron Federal Credit Union — Get $25 credited to your Savings account for every new member you refer this year.
- Commerce Bank — Get a $50 Visa Reward Card when you refer a friend to open and use a new Commerce Bank personal checking account.
- First Tennessee Bank — Get a $50 Visa Reward Card when you refer a friend to open a new First Tennessee checking account.
- Monroe Bank and Trust (MBT) — Refer a business to the bank, and both you and the business owner will get $250! If that isn’t enough, there’s an additional $100 paid if it’s a new business.
- Branch Banking & Trust Company (BB&T) — Get $50 when you refer a friend who opens a new BB&T checking account. You can refer up to five friends and earn up to $250.
- Standard Bank — Refer a friend and both you and the friend get $25.
- HomeTrust Bank — Refer a friend to open a checking account and you and your friend each get $25. Plus you can get $100 on your fifth referral. You can earn up to $575 on 20 friends referred (19 at $25 and one at $100).
- Republic Bank — Both you and your friend will receive $50 when the friend opens a new account (coupon required for participation).
- Spectrum Credit Union — Refer a friend and get $25; the friend gets $50.
- Bancorp South — Refer a friend and both you and your friend will get a $25 cash bonus when the friend opens an account.
4. Cellphone Providers (10)
This group of vendors is probably the least surprising. Virtually every cell phone provider out there is offering some sort of incentive bonus to get people to sign up for their service.
And it follows they also offer referral bonuses. Here are the more common cell phone providers that pay referral fees. I didn’t bother to list the many providers that are not well known.
- US Cellular — Refer a friend and both you and your friend get $50. You can earn up to $550 in referral fees, which means 11 referrals.
- Boost Mobile — Earn a $25 account credit for each person you refer, up to $500 per year.
- TracFone — Get up to $30 for any friend you refer who signs up for the service (the “up to” part does make me a bit suspicious that it might also be just $10 or even $5, but it’s worth a shot).
- T-Mobile — Get a $50 Prepaid MasterCard Card for every friend who opens a qualifying account. You can refer up to 100 accounts every year, which will get you – are you ready for this(?) – $5,000 in prepaid cards.
- Verizon Wireless — You’ll get a $50 Visa Rewards card for one referral, $100 for two referrals and $200 for three referrals ($200 limit each month). Each friend who signs up also gets a $50 Visa Rewards card.
- Cricket Wireless — Refer your friends and earn a $25 account credit for every successful referral. Earn up to $250 in account credits per year!
- CREDO Mobile — Refer a friend and get a $100 bill credit on your account.
- AT&T (All services, including Wireless) — For each successful referral, the referring AT&T customer and the new customer will earn a $25 AT&T promotional card. You can earn up to $575 in promotional cards per year. AT&T promotional cards can be redeemed for merchandise online at att.com at any AT&T company owned store.
- Lycamobile — Earn a $5 free credit for every qualified referral.
- Sprint — You can receive $100 and your friend can receive $50 for every new line your friend activates. Earn up to $500 in referral fees per year.
5. Job Search Firms (11)
Okay, job search firms are one category you can seriously turn into a side hustle, particularly if you have a pretty wide social circle. I’m guessing that virtually every job search firm in existence has a referral program, some more generous than others. But below is a list of some of the more well-known, national firms who publish what they will pay.
Get serious about providing a regular stream of referrals to job search firms, and you may finally stumble across that work-at-home side hustle you’ve been hoping to find.
- Prostaff — $100 referral fee. You get the referral bonus after the friend completes 80 hours of work for Pro Staff.
- AtWork Personnel Services — Pays $50 for a referral, but $100 if the referral is for a management level position (referral must work 160 hours before the bonus is paid).
- All Search Professional Staffing — Pays $500, and there’s no limit on how many bonuses you can earn. Best of all, you just give them the name, and they do the rest.
- SmartBear — Pays a $2,500 referral fee if the referred employee remains employed for a minimum of three months.
- Fast Staff Travel Nursing — Pays referral fees of anywhere between $500 to as high as $4,000, depending on the specialization. And since it’s for traveling nurses, your friend can be located anywhere in the US.
- Aureas Group — They pay $500 for a successful placement of your referral, and $1,000 for software developers.