If you’re looking for a bank to invest your savings in to earn very high-interest rates, check out Barclays Bank.
Though they offer only limited banking services, the rates they pay on savings products are among the highest offered anywhere.
Table of Contents
In this review, I’ll be highlighting all the accounts you can open with Barclays, their best features, and the pros and cons of banking with Barclays.
About Barclays Bank
Barclays Bank is one of the oldest banks in the world. Started in 1690 in London, England, it has been one of the most innovative banks in that country’s history.
Today, it is a major global financial services provider, offering retail banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, and wealth management.
The bank claims 48 million customers and clients worldwide, with total assets of nearly $1.9 billion.
The Bank operates in the US through Barclays Bank Delaware. It started in 2000 as Juniper Bank, offering insurance products and credit cards.
It was acquired by Barclays Bank in 2004 and expanded its credit card operations. The Bank now offers high-interest savings and certificates of deposit (CDs) that pay some of the highest rates offered among online banks.
However, it doesn’t offer many traditional bank products, like checking accounts or consumer loans. Instead, it functions as a pure savings platform.
Barclays Bank Savings Products
Currently, Barclays Bank offers two savings products: Online Savings and Online CDs.
Barclays Online Savings Account
The Barclays Online Savings Account is currently paying 4.35% APY, and the minimum account balance requirement starts at $0. There are also no monthly fees associated with this account, as well as no hidden fees in general.
It also comes with 24/7 online access to your funds, online transfers to and from other banks, and direct deposits.
And once again, as is the case with savings account rates throughout the banking industry, rates are subject to change.
Online Savings Deposits
Deposits can be made by Remote Deposit (see description below) from your computer or mobile device, by direct deposit (including your income tax refund), by electronic funds transfer (ACH), or by check.
Not Acceptable Deposit Methods
Checks drawn on foreign banks, third-party checks, wire transfers, money orders, and cash are not acceptable deposit methods.
Funds will clear immediately when transferred from other Barclays accounts you own. Funds deposited by check or electronic transfer from an external account will be held for five business days from when the deposit is credited to your account.
Online Savings Withdrawals
You can make withdrawals online by selecting the Transfer Funds feature. Funds can then be transferred to an external account, typically within two to three business days. You can also request to have a check mailed directly to you by calling Customer Care.
As is the case with savings accounts and money markets with all banks, withdrawals and outgoing transfers are limited to no more than six per monthly statement cycle. (This is a federal regulation under Regulation D and not unique to Barclays Bank.)
Barclays Bank Online CDs
Barclays Bank Online CDs pay rates comparable to those paid by high-yield online banks. However, the most attractive rates apply to CDs with maturities of 12 to 60 months.
Interest compounds daily, and there are no monthly fees or minimum initial balance requirements.
CD terms range from three months to 60 months and offer interest rates and APYs as follows (as of October 7th, 2023):
Beyond the basic rates, there are a few more factors to consider when it comes to opening a CD with Barclays.
CD Maturity: You’ll receive an email alert about 30 days before your CD matures. CDs can either be withdrawn upon maturity or set to be automatically renewed at the same term. There is a 14-day grace period when you can withdraw the funds without being subject to an early withdrawal penalty.
Early Withdrawal Penalties on CDs: Barclays Bank’s early withdrawal penalties have two tiers:
1. 90 days simple interest on CDs with terms of 24 months or less
2. 180 days simple interest on CDs with terms greater than 24 months
Early Withdrawal Penalty Waivers. The penalty may be waived under certain circumstances, such as the death or incompetence of the account owner. You also have the option to receive monthly interest disbursements from your CD(s) without triggering the penalty.
Barclays Bank Features and Benefits
Barclays Bank Calculators
The Bank offers the following calculators to help you make savings and investing decisions:
1. CD Calculator. This tool will show you how much interest you will earn on a CD of a specific term based on the interest rate being paid on that certificate.
2. Savings Assistant. This calculator will enable you to run different scenarios to help you save money for goals.
That can include saving for a vacation, buying a car, or the down payment on a house.
You enter the cost of the goal, how much you already have saved, and how much you’re contributing monthly. It will calculate how long it will take you to reach your goal.
Remote Deposit/Deposit Checks
You can make remote check deposits by taking a picture of the check, either with your mobile device or your computer scanner. The name of the process is apparently being changed to “Deposit Checks”, though “Remote Deposit” appears frequently on the Barclays website.
You must sign the back of the check and write “For Mobile Deposit at Barclays Bank Only” on the back. Your photo or scan must include both the front and back of the check.
Checks deposited after 3:00 pm Eastern Time will be processed on the next business day and be subject to a five business day minimum hold.
The maximum amount of any check deposited using Remote Deposit is $5,000, and there is also a daily limit of $10,000 and 10 checks. There is also a 10-business-day limit of $50,000 and 20 checks.
The Barclays Mobile App is available for iOS 9.0 or later and is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. It’s also available for Android, 4.2, and up.
The app is available at The App Store and Google Play.
The website notes,”…one-time transfers may be initiated on your mobile device to and from linked and verified external accounts”. Reviews of the app report users being unable to make external transfers using the mobile app, so “one-time transfers” may mean just that.
Customer Service and Account Security
Barclays Customer Care is available by phone, seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern time. You can also access your account 24/7 through your online account.
All funds held at Barclays Bank are fully FDIC-insured for up to $250,000 per depositor.
The Bank uses the following security measures to protect your account and your identity:
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security to provide a 128-bit secure link between your browser and the Bank.
- Global Digital certificate signed by VeriSign to assure you’re communicating with Barclays and not a “copycat” site.
- A time-out applies to your login session.
- Firewalls and other technology are used to block unauthorized traffic to the Bank’s website.
The transfer of information between you and the Bank, and between the Bank and authorized third parties, is always encrypted to ensure it isn’t available to unintended third parties.
How to Open an Account With Barclays Bank
The application process is entirely online. The application will request the following information:
- Your Full Name
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth (You Must Be at Least 18 Years Old)
- Email Address
- Primary Phone Number, Plus Consent to Call or Text, as well as the Level of That Consent
- Your Complete Address
- Country of Citizenship and Residency
- Length of Time at Your Current Address (Must Cover at Least Two Years)
- Your Occupation
- Type of Account – Single or Joint; Online CD or Online Savings Account
- Opening Deposit Amount
- Account Funding – Providing Routing Number, Account Number, and Account Type of External Funding Account
Once all that information has been supplied, you’ll be asked to create a User ID and Password, as well as to supply your mother’s maiden name and a security question and answer. You’ll also be given the option to enroll in two-factor authentication.
Finally, you’ll be asked to complete and sign the electronic consent agreement, terms and conditions, and a W-9 certification.
Should You Bank With Barclays Bank?
Barclays Bank is not a full-service bank. They don’t offer typical bank products, like auto and personal loans or mortgages. They don’t even offer a checking account option.
For that reason, the bank is best used as a place to park your cash to earn interest rates that are much higher than what you can get with traditional banks and even most other online banks.
In particular, you’ll be interested in the high-interest Online Savings Account or one of the CDs they offer. Rates are best on the CDs with terms of 12 months or longer but relatively low on shorter terms.
But since virtually everyone has a need for high-yield savings in those terms, Barclays Bank is worth investigating. As a pure savings platform, it’s one of the best available.
If you’d like more information, or if you’d like to open an account with the Bank, visit the Barclays Bank website.
Final Thoughts – Barclays Bank Review
Barclays Bank stands out as an optimal choice for those prioritizing high-yield savings opportunities. Though lacking in full-service offerings like checking accounts and standard loans, Barclays excels with its competitive interest rates on savings accounts and CDs, particularly those of longer durations.
Founded in 1690, Barclays’ legacy and expansive global footprint, combined with its commitment to innovation, ensures customers are banking with a trustworthy institution.
For individuals seeking a straightforward, efficient platform to maximize interest earnings on their savings, Barclays offers a compelling and beneficial solution.
How We Review Banking or Financial Institutions:
Good Financial Cents undertakes a comprehensive review of banking and financial institutions, analyzing service offerings, customer satisfaction, and financial stability. Our intention is to provide readers with a balanced overview, aiding them in their financial journey. We consistently emphasize editorial transparency.
We source data from these institutions, reviewing account offerings and other key services. This data, when combined with our in-depth research, forms the foundation of our evaluation. Institutions are subsequently rated on a range of criteria, resulting in a star rating from one to five.
Barclays Bank Review
Product Name: Barclays Bank
Product Description: Barclays Bank is a multinational investment bank and financial services company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It offers a wide range of products and services, including retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, wealth management, and insurance.
Summary of Barcay's Bank Review
Barclays Bank offers customers a comprehensive suite of banking services, from checking and savings accounts to loan approval and investment advice. The bank’s customer service is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient, making it easy to navigate the financial products available. The online platform is also intuitive and reliable, so you can trust your funds are secure should you need to access them anytime. I highly recommend Barclays Bank for all your banking needs — it’ll provide you with peace of mind at a competitive rate.
Cost and Fees
- Wide Range of Financial Products and Services: Barclays Bank offers a diverse range of financial products and services, including retail banking, corporate banking, investment banking, wealth management, and insurance.
- Convenient Online Banking: Barclays Bank provides a secure and convenient online banking platform that allows customers to manage their accounts, make payments, and transfer money.
- International Presence: As a multinational bank, Barclays Bank operates in many countries, which makes it easy for customers to access their accounts and financial services when traveling abroad.
- Strong Reputation: Barclays Bank is a well-established and reputable financial institution that has been in business for over 325 years.
- High Fees: Some of Barclays Bank’s financial products and services, such as certain types of mortgages and credit cards, may come with high fees.
- Limited Branch Network: Barclays Bank has a limited branch network in some countries, which may make it difficult for customers to access in-person banking services.
- Complex Investment Products: Some of the investment products offered by Barclays Bank may be complex and difficult to understand, which may not be suitable for all customers.
- Poor Customer Service: Some customers have reported poor customer service experiences with Barclays Bank, including long wait times and difficulty resolving issues.
- Reputation Issues: In recent years, Barclays Bank has faced a number of controversies and scandals, which may affect its reputation and public perception.