Most of us love our pets to the ends of the Earth — so much so that we would do anything to make sure they have proper medical care.
Pet insurance is a product that can help in this respect — especially if you’re worried about unexpected veterinary bills.
With a pet insurance policy in place, you can rest assured knowing you have the means to pay for important procedures or surgeries if your pet becomes injured or ill.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation is a company that provides exactly that — pet insurance that can protect your pet’s life.
Healthy Paws ranks atop my list of favorite Pet Insurance Providers:
Table of Contents
Introducing Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers insurance products for dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens.
These plans are available for animals with no pre-existing conditions, offering coverage for the following situations:
- Alternative treatments
- Chronic conditions
- Congenital conditions
- Diagnostic treatment
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Specialty Care
- X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds
According to Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, you can get your puppy covered starting at just 8 weeks old.
If you enroll your dog before the age of six, hip dysplasia is also covered at no cost.
You can also enroll your cat or kitten for pet insurance coverage up until their 14th birthday.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Benefits
While pet health insurance products all vary in what they offer and how they process claims, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance has a few main factors working in its favor.
The biggest benefits of this program include:
- No lifetime caps on medical care or costs
- 99% of claims are processed in two days
- You can use any licensed veterinarian you want
Exclusions: What Isn’t Covered?
While the above situations and treatments are the most common ones for dogs and cats, not everything is included in Healthy Paws Pet Insurance plans.
With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, you’ll have to cover the following conditions and fees out of your own pocket.
- Examination fees
- Pre-existing conditions
- Pre-existing cruciate ligament: When the injury to the cruciate ligament of one leg occurs before enrollment or in the 15-day waiting period, the other leg’s cruciate ligament is excluded from coverage, the company’s only bilateral exclusion.
- Preventative care such as vaccinations, flea control, heartworm medicine, parasite control, dental care, spay and neuter, and anal gland expression.
According to Healthy Paws, a pre-existing condition is one that happened or demonstrated clinical symptoms before coverage began or in waiting periods.
In other words, they do not cover any conditions that existed before you procured pet insurance for your pet — even if the condition wasn’t diagnosed yet.
Before you buy a policy, make sure you understand all the exclusions that are not covered.
How Does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Work?
Remember how pre-existing conditions aren’t covered? You’ll start the process by enrolling your pet in their own insurance plan before they get sick or get injured.
From there, you’ll pay monthly premiums similar to other recurring bills like health insurance or utility bills.
Then, if your pet becomes sick or injured, you’ll file a claim with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance to get appropriate treatments covered.
According to Healthy Paws, you can:
- Submit a claim online from anywhere by sending your veterinary hospital’s invoice through the website of the Healthy Paws mobile app
- Receive a reimbursement check via mail or direct deposit after your claim is processed in as little as a few days
- Get especially expensive treatments pre-authorized by Healthy Paws so you can avoid paying out of pocket and waiting for reimbursement
- Check the status of your claim online at any time
How Much Do Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Plans Cost?
Like any other insurance product, pet insurance rates for Healthy Paws Pet Insurance vary based on factors such as the type of pet you have, the age of your pet, and your pet’s breed.
A few example premiums we came up with include:
Madge, a six-year-old large mixed-breed dog from Ohio
Myrtle, a one-year-old domestic short-haired cat from California
Pikachu, a two-year-old toy mixed-breed dog from Iowa
As you can see, rates are all over the place and depend on the type of pet you have, their age, and where you live.
It’s also important to note that, with any of these plans, you’ll have to pay an annual deductible before coverage kicks in.
This deductible must be met before your pet insurance coverage comes into play, and it is paid on top of your monthly pet insurance premiums.
Also, note that there is a one-time $25 enrollment fee to get your plan started.
If you’re curious about how much you’ll pay for pet insurance from Healthy Paws, your best bet is getting an online quote.
It’s easy and free to do so, and it may help you decide whether you can afford a policy right now — or if you need to wait.
Having a policy can also pay off big time if your pet gets sick or needs emergency medical treatment for any reason.
Does Healthy Paws Get Good Reviews?
According to Healthy Paws, the company received consumer pet insurance awards in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
They also feature many, many positive reviews on their website and elsewhere on the web. As of August 2018, the company even boasts a 9.8 satisfaction rating out of 10.
Customers who rated Healthy Paws praised them for their easy and fast claims process, as well as their customer service.
Some customers even noted their customer service reps seemed “kind and sincere” and that the company truly cares for the customers.
Should You Get Pet Insurance With Healthy Paws?
If you have a pet you love and don’t want to worry about paying for their medical care, pet insurance can be a great deal.
You will need to pay a monthly premium for this important coverage, but you will never again have to worry about your pet becoming sick or injured and being unable to afford it.
Before you sign up for a plan, it definitely makes sense to compare several pet insurance companies online.
Not only should you compare the monthly premiums you’ll be asked to pay, but you should compare annual deductibles, coverages, exclusions, and reviews.
With that in mind, Healthy Paws offers a solid insurance product that is highly rated and popular with consumers.
You may also be able to qualify for an especially affordable policy if your pet is young and in good health.
The sooner you purchase pet insurance, the faster you’ll be able to rest assured knowing your pet is covered.
Get quotes for pet insurance today, and you won’t regret the purchase.
If you wind up having to file a claim, it could save your finances — and perhaps even your pet’s life.
How We Review Insurance Companies:
Good Financial Cents systematically reviews U.S. insurance companies, emphasizing policy offerings, customer experiences, and overall reliability. Our goal is to present a balanced and comprehensive perspective to potential policyholders. Editorial transparency remains a cornerstone of our approach.
We actively collect information from insurance companies and place significant weight on customer feedback. By integrating this feedback with our research, we can offer a well-rounded evaluation. Each company is then rated based on multiple criteria, resulting in a star rating from one to five.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Product Name: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Product Description: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance offers comprehensive health coverage for pets, ensuring owners can provide the best medical care without the stress of hefty bills. Their plans cover accidents, illnesses, and other unexpected health issues that pets might encounter. With a straightforward claims process and a commitment to customer satisfaction, they strive to provide peace of mind to pet owners.
Summary of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
As one of the leading pet insurance providers, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance stands out for its broad coverage and commitment to the welfare of pets. They offer a single comprehensive plan that eliminates the confusion of tiered coverages, ensuring a streamlined selection process. Their policies cover everything from accidents and illnesses to hereditary and congenital conditions, providing robust protection. Coupled with a user-friendly mobile app, filing claims becomes a seamless experience. Their dedication extends beyond insurance; the company is also known for its charitable activities, contributing to pet rescues and adoption.
Cost and Fees
- Comprehensive Coverage: Healthy Paws offers broad coverage, including treatments for accidents, illnesses, and hereditary conditions.
- Easy Claim Process: With a straightforward online submission and a dedicated app, filing claims is hassle-free.
- No Caps on Claim Payouts: They offer unlimited lifetime benefits with no annual or per-incident caps.
- Charitable Contributions: A portion of the proceeds goes to help homeless pets, reflecting the company’s commitment to animal welfare.
- Waiting Period: There’s a waiting period before coverage kicks in for accidents and illnesses, which is standard but can be a drawback for immediate needs.
- Age Restrictions: For certain conditions, there may be age restrictions for coverage.
- Exclusions: As with most pet insurance, pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Pricing: Some pet owners might find their premiums on the higher side compared to other providers.